Friday, September 3, 2010

The Sparrow's Nest



by William Wordsworth

The poem, has a lot of meaning for me and would be somewhat autobiographical - if only I had written it.


THE SPARROW'S NEST
BEHOLD, within the leafy shade,
Those bright blue eggs together laid!
On me the chance-discovered sight
Gleamed like a vision of delight.
I started--seeming to espy
The home and sheltered bed,
The Sparrow's dwelling, which, hard by
My Father's house, in wet and dry
My sister Emmeline and I
Together visited. 10

She looked at it and seemed to fear it;
Dreading, tho' wishing, to be near it:
Such heart was in her, being then
A little Prattler among men.
The Blessing of my later years
Was with me when a boy:
She gave me eyes, she gave me ears;
And humble cares, and delicate fears;
A heart, the fountain of sweet tears;
And love, and thought, and joy. 20
1801.

6 comments:

Karinann said...

Robert, thanks for sharing the poem. "...a little prattler among men..." I guess that could be us all at one time or another.
God bless!

Robert Beaurivage said...

Thank you, Karinann. I am delighted that you appreciated it. To live, to have a heart which capable of such love that will break with sorrow and soar with joy in those we love and in the beauty of God and His creatures: this is the blessing I seek and what makes life on earth worth living.

Rachel said...

Robert that is one of the loveliest poems I've ever read. Thank you for posting this. If you don't mind, I think I'd like to copy it and memorize it. : )

Robert Beaurivage said...

Of course, Rachel. I am glad you enjoyed it. I love this poem too.

Rachel said...

"Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows." Lk 12:6: "Are not five sparrows sold for two pence? and not one of them is forgotten in the sight of God."

Robert, you are very well on your way to living that which you so desire when you pened the following words, "To live, to have a heart which is capable of such love that will break with sorrow and soar with joy in those we love and in teh beauty of God and His Creatures: this is the blessing I seek and what makes like on earth worth living."

You are not forgotten in the sight of God and He hears your prayers. They will be answered if you remain faithful to Him in times of trial and testing. Such times are the "consideration" offered to Him in exchange for an eternal covenant of love with you. : ) Thus sparrows and turtle doves were presented as offerings in the temple.

Give Him your heart and He will fill it with a love that will surpass anything you could have ever dreamed of having, here in this life and forever in the next.

I love this poem and I love the title of this blog. Thank you for writing it.

Robert Beaurivage said...

Thank you Rachel for your friendship and encouragement. Truly, our trials here are small consideration for the riches our Lord gives us in turn. I am blessed with your presence, thank you for your prayers on my behalf. God is doing me a favor by giving me this blog. It is an occasion to grow in my faith, so I should be the one grateful to you for recommending it (and I am ... thank you :)